Directory– ANROE maintains an up-to-date directory of EE resources and providers on their web site. http://www.anroe.net/resource-
Training Opportunities– ANROE provides a list of upcoming workshops. http://www.anroe.net/programs-
Youth Empowerment– ANROE covered the costs of youth presenters from Kenny Lake, Tyonek, and Kodiak to attend the 2017 Alaska Forum on The Environment (AFE). These students attended a weekend workshop to develop communication skills, then presented their community environmental projects to audiences at AFE.
- The Alaska Division of Forestry and the Anchorage Parks Foundation received a wetlands restoration grant with an education component attached. ANROE provided a Project WILD / Project Learning Tree workshop focusing on Anchorage’s Campbell Creek.
- A Project Learning Tree / Seas and Watersheds workshop for 5 early childhood teachers was conducted in Homer.
The American Forestry Foundation funded two sets of elementary Project Learning Tree kits in 2017 to help Anchorage School District (ASD) teachers as well as other educators teach science content in an outdoor setting. Each kit includes 3 Project Learning Tree lessons aligned with the current ASD (K-6) STEM Curriculum for grades k/1, 3 and 6. Kits were designed and assembled by the Alaska Botanical Garden who also hosted a 1-credit professional development course to familiarize teachers with them. Visit http://www.anroe.net/project-
- Grades K/1: living and nonliving things and what animals need to survive
- Grade 3rd: patterns in living things, weather and habitats
- Grade 6th: energy in ecosystems, energy sources, flow, conservation and transfer
In 2017 ANROE was awarded another Western Wildfire Urban Interface Grant to implement what we consider “the next step” in an effort to assist educators in the following communities with increased risk of wildfire and to encourage mitigation: Anchorage, Palmer/Wasilla, Glennallen, Delta Junction, Tok, Fairbanks, Kenai/Soldotna, Galena, Bethel and Dillingham. An on-line module will be created in 2018. 1-credit workshops, combing the online module and Fire Field Days will be conducted in these communities in the next 2 years. For additional information, visit http://www.anroe.net/programs-